Driving Licence system in South Africa

The driving licence system in South African went through an overhaul in 1998 from the old system to the new system. While there have been tweaks to the system over the years, for the majority it’s stayed the same. Here’s a quick summary of the current system, with equivalent codes from the old system.

When the new system was implemented, everyone who had an old licence of the form Code 8, Code 12 etc. was given an equivalent licence in the new letter format, eg. B, EC etc. To this day people still often refer to having a code 12 licence, although the system is not used in practice.

Learner’s Licence
There are three main categories of licences. Light Motor Vehicles, Heavy Motor Vehicles and Motor Cycles. Before you can get either one of these licences, you must first write a learner’s licence exam. This is a 1 hour theory exam, to test your knowledge of the rules of the road. There are three different learner’s licences available, each one applying to a different vehicle class. These licences are:

Code 1: Motorcycles
Code 2: Light Motor Vehicles
Code 3: Heavy Motor Vehicles

A Heavy motor vehicle is considered any vehicle with a GVM over 3,500kg (3.5 tons), and a light motor vehicle anything below. There was talk 2 years ago about combining learners licences so as not to require people who already have a licence to rewrite their learner’s licence, but this was never passed. Currently a Learner’s Licence is valid for 2 years. Once you have a learner’s licence for a vehicle, you are free to drive that vehicle as long as there is a driver licenced for that vehicle in the passenger seat with you. You may drive on freeways, and have additional passengers. If you want to get your Driver’s Licence, you must apply so that your test occurs before your learner’s licence expires. If you have a learner’s licence for a motorcycle, you may drive by yourself (I’ve also heard you’re not allowed passengers, unsure).

You may only apply for a Code 2 Learner’s Licence if you are over the age of 17. For a Code 1 licence you may apply when you are 16 (limited to 125cc). I have heard that you must be 18 before applying for a Code 3 learner’s licence.


Driver’s Licence
For motorcycles there are two licences available. An A, and a A1 licence. An A1 licence you may hold from the age of 17, and is limited to motorcycles with an engine capacity of 125cc or less. You may only get an A licence once you turn 18, and permits you to drive any motorcycle.

Light motor vehicles have two classes. Either a B (old code 7) or an EB (old code 8). The B licence is the standard driver’s licence that most people get. It allows you to drive any Light Motor Vehicle and tow a trailer with a GVM less than 750kg. An EB licence is for the same class of vehicles, but allows you to tow trailers in excess of GVM 750kg. Most people who did their driver’s licence before 1998 were automatically upgraded to an EB licence, whereas most new drivers have only a B licence. This limits one from towing certain caravans and boats which can have GVMs higher than 750kg. You must be 18 years old before you take the test for an LMV licence.

Heavy Motor vehicles have four classes. A code C1 (former code 10) which is for vehicles with a GVM between 3.5 and 16 tons and a code C which is for vehicles with a GVM over 16 tons. Drivers with a code C1 licence are permitted to drive vehicles of class B. Drivers with a code C may drive vehicles covered by both the C1 and B codes.
A code EC1 licence holds the same rights as a C1 licence, but with the inclusion of trailers with a GVM in excess of 750 kg. Likewise an EC licence permits the driver to drive vehicles covered by a C licence with a trailer of GVM in excess of 750kg. The holder of an EC licence, in addition to vehicles covered by a C licence, may also drive EC1 vehicles.

In 2010 reports were issued that drivers who obtained a Heavy Duty Vehicle Licence after January 2011 would not be permitted to drive light motor vehicles. This law was never passed.

To obtain a driver’s licence, you must hold the appropriate learner’s licence and do a practical test for driving that vehicle. The test comprises of a yard test (inclined start and alley docking. Additional three point turn and parallel parking for LMV and additional straight reverse for HMVs). As well as an on the road test, generally along preset routes in general traffic. For each of these you must follow practices specified by the K53 defensive driving system, which has many critics. It is advised that anyone attempting to pass a driving test in South Africa first go for driving lessons with an accredited driving school.

A South African Driver’s Licence must be renewed every 5 years.

SA Driver's Licence

SA Driver’s Licence
Rear and Front

Professional Driver’s Licence
Anyone who wants to drive a motor vehicle for reward (taxi, deliveryman etc.) or anyone driving a Goods Vehicle, or Vehicle able to transport more than 11 people must hold a Professional Driver’s Permit. See my article here for more information. A standard PrDP licence is valid for 2 years.

Other things to note
It is possible to hold a licence which is valid for both an LMV or HMV as well as a motorcycle. You will be issued with one card which displays the separate restrictions, dates etc. for each.
Whatever vehicle you do your licence in will be the vehicle that you are given a licence for. If you drive an automatic vehicle, you will not be permitted to drive manual vehicles.
Whenever you renew your driver’s licence you will be required to do an eye test, this test will dictate whether you are required to drive a vehicle with or without glasses.
A South African Driver’s licence is in the shape of a credit card. Pre-1998, driver’s licences were included in your ID book.
Go here to view a table comparing the old and the current driver’s licence codes.

Most of the information here I posted from memory. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, if uncertain, please contact your local Traffic Department for assistance.
Source: General Knowledge and the National Road Traffic Act.

1,368 thoughts on “Driving Licence system in South Africa

  1. Good day. My son is turning 18 in June and wants to do his EC/EC1 (CODE 14) license as he want to go work on the farms in the USA. They now told him he must be 21 to be able to do his code 14. He must do his code 10 (code C). Is this true?

    • Hi Xander,

      I was always under the impression that you only had to be 18 to get an EC licence. Although you have to be 18 to write the code3 learners licence as well (anecdotal).
      This website from gov.za says that you can get an EC licence when you’re 18.

      What they may have been referring to is for PrDPs. If you want to transport people, you have to be 21 years old.

      Also note, code 14 generally refers to an EC/C (over 16 tons), code 10 C1/EC1 (up to 16 tons)

  2. Good day ,i tested last week wednesday for code 10(c1) and apparently when i was about to pay for temporary i was told that,The person who was testing me loaded that i did codeB on the system
    They told me the will fix and c will call me after so that i can go and finish up paying and get my temporary,
    Where can i go for speedy assistance cos now i cant drive a company vehicle cos i have no license while i passed my code10 help please ..

    • Hi Tendani,
      Sorry that this happened to you, unfortunately I don’t know of any quick way to fix this, you’ll have to go through the traffic department’s normal processes. If no one at your local traffic department is willing to help, you can try escalating the issue to your regional/provincial traffic offices.

    • Hi Langa, is this a question? If you are applying for a licence for the first time, and are over the age of 65 you may require a medical certificate, but otherwise you should not.

  3. What is the minimum limit in months one must drive on a motorcycle learners license before you can go for the license?

    • Hi Simon, you can read more about the details of a PrDP here.

      That being said, whether you need a PrDP or not, is dependant on the vehicle you’re driving (along with passengers/contents), not your driver’s licence itself.

  4. Good day.

    If you have a learners for Code 10 can you do the license for Code 8 or should you do the License for Code 10?

  5. Good day
    I took my driving test on 7 May 2018. Was just wondering how long I’ll have to wait till I can collect it cause they told me to come back after 6 weeks and its now makes it 44 days today “6 weeks and 2 days”
    I’d really appreciate you reply.

    • Hi Nelisiwe,
      Are you saying they don’t have your driver’s licence yet? If they say it’ll be ready after 6 weeks, you can phone and confirm with them whether it has arrived or not. And if not ask them when it will come. Otherwise you can wait until you receive the notification in the post, but that’ll be at least a week or two after its ready.

  6. Hi,

    if I have a code A1 license and it shows on my drivers license card and later go for code A, what will be displayed on my license card? Does the A1 fall away and be replaced by A or will it display code A1 and A? Also what is the most licenses a person can have if he starts at the lowest license and goes for every license in the list?

    • Interesting question, because an A supersedes an A1, generally only the A licence will show on your driver’s licence card. Likewise, if you have a B, and then get an EB, C1 or EC1, the B will fall away and only the ‘greatest’ licence code will remain. Because an EC lets you drive all of the other classes. The exception is between A licences and B/C licences. If you have an A/A1 licence and get a B/C1/C licence, both will be displayed, as A licences are for motorbikes, which can’t be driven on a B/C1/C licence.

      eNATIS does track all the licences you hold and when you obtained them, so it is possible to request a report should you want to prove you’ve had your B licence for 10 years, even though your licence card shows you’ve only had a C licence for 1 year.

  7. Hi I am 13 and I want to apply for a bike licence 2 years from now will this be possible? I will be getting a scooter 2 years from now and want to ask if I can ride it ?

    • You can only apply for a motorbike learner’s licence when you are 16. You are not allowed to drive any vehicle without at least a learner’s licence. As such you will have to wait till you are 16 to legally drive your scooter.

  8. Hello guys. I hope you are all right and having good times.
    At the moment I am in Italy searching a work in Southern Africa.
    Can you explain me what documents do I need to obtain a PrDP?
    Can somebody of you explain me the entire process?
    thank you very much.

    • Hey Luca,
      You’ll have to go through three stages if you aren’t currently registered with the South African National Traffic Register (eNATIS).
      Firstly, you need to obtain a traffic register number (info), to be registered in the South African System.
      Secondly, you either need to convert your foreign driver’s licence to a South African equivalent (if possible), or you need to obtain one locally by passing a learner’s licence test and subsequent driving profiecency test.
      Lastly, you’ll then be able to apply for your PrDP (info), for which you’ll require a doctor’s certificate indicating you are in good health, as well as a police clearance.

      • Thank you very much for your cordial response, but at Polokwane the driving offices did not accept my practice because on my passport I did not have a long enough study visa.
        My question is this:
        I can convert my Italian driving license into a South African equivalent and then make a drive test profieciency?
        I would also like to know if I can get a PrDP in my country and then convert it into a South African version?
        Best regards.

        • Hi Luca, on what grounds will you be staying in SA? How long is it till your study visa expires? It’s possible that converting of a foreign driver’s licence to SA is only for permanent residents.
          In which case, you will have to do the normal SA driver’s licence test before applying for your PrDP.

          The Italian equivalent of a PrDP is not recognized under SA law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.