Driving Licence system in South Africa

The driving licence system in South African went through an overhaul in 1998 from the old system to the new system. While there have been tweaks to the system over the years, for the majority it’s stayed the same. Here’s a quick summary of the current system, with equivalent codes from the old system.

When the new system was implemented, everyone who had an old licence of the form Code 8, Code 12 etc. was given an equivalent licence in the new letter format, eg. B, EC etc. To this day people still often refer to having a code 12 licence, although the system is not used in practice.

Learner’s Licence
There are three main categories of licences. Light Motor Vehicles, Heavy Motor Vehicles and Motor Cycles. Before you can get either one of these licences, you must first write a learner’s licence exam. This is a 1 hour theory exam, to test your knowledge of the rules of the road. There are three different learner’s licences available, each one applying to a different vehicle class. These licences are:

Code 1: Motorcycles
Code 2: Light Motor Vehicles
Code 3: Heavy Motor Vehicles

A Heavy motor vehicle is considered any vehicle with a GVM over 3,500kg (3.5 tons), and a light motor vehicle anything below. There was talk 2 years ago about combining learners licences so as not to require people who already have a licence to rewrite their learner’s licence, but this was never passed. Currently a Learner’s Licence is valid for 2 years. Once you have a learner’s licence for a vehicle, you are free to drive that vehicle as long as there is a driver licenced for that vehicle in the passenger seat with you. You may drive on freeways, and have additional passengers. If you want to get your Driver’s Licence, you must apply so that your test occurs before your learner’s licence expires. If you have a learner’s licence for a motorcycle, you may drive by yourself (I’ve also heard you’re not allowed passengers, unsure).

You may only apply for a Code 2 Learner’s Licence if you are over the age of 17. For a Code 1 licence you may apply when you are 16 (limited to 125cc). I have heard that you must be 18 before applying for a Code 3 learner’s licence.


Driver’s Licence
For motorcycles there are two licences available. An A, and a A1 licence. An A1 licence you may hold from the age of 17, and is limited to motorcycles with an engine capacity of 125cc or less. You may only get an A licence once you turn 18, and permits you to drive any motorcycle.

Light motor vehicles have two classes. Either a B (old code 7) or an EB (old code 8). The B licence is the standard driver’s licence that most people get. It allows you to drive any Light Motor Vehicle and tow a trailer with a GVM less than 750kg. An EB licence is for the same class of vehicles, but allows you to tow trailers in excess of GVM 750kg. Most people who did their driver’s licence before 1998 were automatically upgraded to an EB licence, whereas most new drivers have only a B licence. This limits one from towing certain caravans and boats which can have GVMs higher than 750kg. You must be 18 years old before you take the test for an LMV licence.

Heavy Motor vehicles have four classes. A code C1 (former code 10) which is for vehicles with a GVM between 3.5 and 16 tons and a code C which is for vehicles with a GVM over 16 tons. Drivers with a code C1 licence are permitted to drive vehicles of class B. Drivers with a code C may drive vehicles covered by both the C1 and B codes.
A code EC1 licence holds the same rights as a C1 licence, but with the inclusion of trailers with a GVM in excess of 750 kg. Likewise an EC licence permits the driver to drive vehicles covered by a C licence with a trailer of GVM in excess of 750kg. The holder of an EC licence, in addition to vehicles covered by a C licence, may also drive EC1 vehicles.

In 2010 reports were issued that drivers who obtained a Heavy Duty Vehicle Licence after January 2011 would not be permitted to drive light motor vehicles. This law was never passed.

To obtain a driver’s licence, you must hold the appropriate learner’s licence and do a practical test for driving that vehicle. The test comprises of a yard test (inclined start and alley docking. Additional three point turn and parallel parking for LMV and additional straight reverse for HMVs). As well as an on the road test, generally along preset routes in general traffic. For each of these you must follow practices specified by the K53 defensive driving system, which has many critics. It is advised that anyone attempting to pass a driving test in South Africa first go for driving lessons with an accredited driving school.

A South African Driver’s Licence must be renewed every 5 years.

SA Driver's Licence

SA Driver’s Licence
Rear and Front

Professional Driver’s Licence
Anyone who wants to drive a motor vehicle for reward (taxi, deliveryman etc.) or anyone driving a Goods Vehicle, or Vehicle able to transport more than 11 people must hold a Professional Driver’s Permit. See my article here for more information. A standard PrDP licence is valid for 2 years.

Other things to note
It is possible to hold a licence which is valid for both an LMV or HMV as well as a motorcycle. You will be issued with one card which displays the separate restrictions, dates etc. for each.
Whatever vehicle you do your licence in will be the vehicle that you are given a licence for. If you drive an automatic vehicle, you will not be permitted to drive manual vehicles.
Whenever you renew your driver’s licence you will be required to do an eye test, this test will dictate whether you are required to drive a vehicle with or without glasses.
A South African Driver’s licence is in the shape of a credit card. Pre-1998, driver’s licences were included in your ID book.
Go here to view a table comparing the old and the current driver’s licence codes.

Most of the information here I posted from memory. While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, if uncertain, please contact your local Traffic Department for assistance.
Source: General Knowledge and the National Road Traffic Act.

1,450 thoughts on “Driving Licence system in South Africa

  1. Hi Gareth (my name’s also Gareth)

    I have a regular drivers (Code B) – and I want to get my motorcycle licence (A)

    Do I have to go back, write a learners test and then do the yard/road test on a bike? or perhaps skip the admin on the learners test?

    Also – Once I do this, will I have 1 combined licence that shows AB code?

    • Hey Gareth :)

      Unfortunately to get your Code A, you’ll have to redo your learner’s test (this time a Code 1 learner’s test), and then redo your practical test on a motor bike.
      Your new licence should then show that you have both a Code B and a Code A licence.

  2. Howzit Gareth?

    Forgive me if I might be asking something that you have already answered above….It’s 3:30 in the morning and I’ve come across your BLOG after searching Google for an explanation of some sort so that I can prove my “know it all” brother wrong and get the answer that I need so that the headache I’m going to endure from dealing with the licensing dept, and my hangover – will be a bit more bare-able!

    I acquired my license post 1998 and have always known it as a code 8. But yesterday at an Interview I was asked by my soon to be boss what license I have, I said a code 8 which is suitable for my Company vehicle, but then he asked if it is a B or an EB, as each one allows you to tow trailers of certain GVM’s, (which was the 1st I’ve ever heard of this) and unfortunately because I misplaced my license card a while back, I couldn’t check and confirm either!

    However, I was told that I’ll need the EB one as i’ll be required to tow a trailer with a GVM in excess of 750kg from time to time which has got me stressed that mine might not be the EB license…..

    So, what I need to know is: If mine turns out to be a B, can I simply request that they change it to an EB, or would I have to redo a whole new license, from learners to the driving test,etc to get the EB code 8 that I require?

    • Hey Stefan,

      Bad news. If you got your licence post 1998, you never had a code 8, you most likely received a Code B licence, which is the standard Light motor vehicle licence. If this is the case, you can’t just request a licence for which you didn’t test, you will have to redo your learner’s licence, and then redo the practical test in a vehicle with a trailer sufficient to meet the needs of a code EB licence.

      It’s quite a hassle. If you’re redoing your licence, consider going all out and just getting an EC or EC1 licence, which might be useful at a later stage. This can be quite expensive depending on what vehicles you have available to you.

      Good luck

  3. I have done code 2 learners and when i try to book driving lessons from a local driving school noting that I want to do code 2 EB im told it doesn’t exist, it’s only code 8b? What should I do

    • You want a code EB licence (light motor vehicle + large trailer), which is equivalent to an old code 8 licence.
      However you may struggle to find driving schools that offer EB, most will only offer code B (light motor vehicle and small trailer). You may just need to look around for a different driving school if you really do want a code EB.

      Code 2 refers to your learner’s licence, not the driving licence you want to get.

  4. Greetings Mr G.. I just want to know..before lockdown i enrolled for learners licence at a driving school. I need clarity about, am i to get my learners permit at the driving school because there wasnt a clear explanation as this is my first.and secondly is it possible to get straight throught to the code i want which is 10.

  5. I have an EB license, am I allowed to operate a Motorcycle A or do I have to do the license test thing all over again.
    According to Drive it magazine they published that a EB license is a combination license and therefore we are allowed to operate ( A and A1) licenses.

    I need some clearance on this please.

    • No, unfortunately you’re not allowed to drive A vehicles. It is a combination licence in that you can drive B vehicles, as well as B vehicles with a trailer.
      If you want to drive motorcycles, you’ll have to redo your learner’s licence as well as driver’s licence.

    • Usually not.
      an EB (old Code 8) learner’s licence is usually a Code 2, Light motor vehicles.
      an EC1 (old Cod 10) requires a Code 3 learner’s licence, heavy motor vehicles

    • No, if you have a code 2 learner’s licence (light motor vehicles), you cannot do a C/C1 (old code 10) driver’s licence.
      Do do a heavy motor vehicle driver’s licence, you need a code 3 learner’s licence.

  6. By mistake they gave me a code 3 and I want to do code 2 , can I still do the code 2 test because I want my license for code 2 not code 3

    • If you received a code 3 learner’s licence, you can still do a test for a LMV, which normally only requires a code 2.

Leave a Reply to garethc Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.