Traffic Department in East London

Update: Included Vehicle Licensing & Registration offices at end of post. Also added Gonubie Traffic Department.

I recently moved to East London for work, my first day here I had to go sort out some things at the traffic department. But I really battled to locate the traffic department.

The Buffalo City website was less than helpful. Listing several numbers and services but no address. No amount of Googling helped, and not even the Yellow Pages website could help. Alas I didn’t have a hard copy of this, although I don’t know how helpful that would have been.

I did phone the department and after being put through to the right person, was told they don’t have a physical address, they were just located at ‘Ziphunzana’, note, I heard something similar to that and Googled it without result.

So eventually I phone a friend who grew up here. After a bit of umming and ahhing he had to go on Google Maps and then direct to where it’s located. I did eventually find it, and the service was acceptable, slightly less waiting than what I experienced in Port Elizabeth, but it felt more disorganised with multiple disjointed rooms and corridors.

So for anyone looking for the Testing Centre in East London, also known as Braelyn- or Buffalo City Traffic Department, it’s located at the Ziphunazana Bypass in Braelyn, East London. See the map below for reference. At this centre you can book for driver’s (all codes) or learner’s licences, renew driver’s licences and pay traffic fines as well as do vehicle roadworthiness tests.

View Larger Map

I believe the building below, in Oxford Street, is the location of the Vehicle Licensing centre. The windows to the right of the streetview image now have large signs in them saying Vehicle Licensing.

View Larger Map

Gonubie Traffic Department. You apparently can’t do everything at this traffic department, mainly for testing. Give them a call if you’re unsure.

View Larger Map

And Wilsonia Traffic Department while we’re about it:

96 thoughts on “Traffic Department in East London

  1. Good day
    I just booked a learner’s licence in KZN, Durban for the 18 of June. And now I am in East London for a Job, I would like to know if its possible to be transferred.

  2. Why can traffic offices Wilsonia Provincial and all others in the East London Metropolitan area post the office hours on the net

  3. Thanks
    I would like to know if you opening on saturday for learners booking, if so at what time and which documents must I come with.

  4. I would like to know what route you drive when testing for a code 3(small truck) driving license at Braelyn department and how long does it take to get a date and how much is it?

    Thankx in advance

  5. I want to now something what must I bring to change the name because my mother is pass away and I need to renew the disk of the car can u please tell me I need egently

    • Hi Yonela, I’m sorry for your loss. You should be able to renew the licence without changing the ownership, but phone the traffic department to confirm. If you are wanting to change ownership you will require some form of official document from the executor of your mother’s estate indicating that the car has been given to you, then you will need to commit a change of ownership with the traffic department.

  6. Hi Gareth

    I am a Zimbabwe and would like to apply for a traffic register so that i can get my license. What is the procedure?

    • Hi Trevor,
      This website has a full list of requirements. I’d phone ahead of time to the traffic department that you want to register at to make sure they do offer the service, and there aren’t any obsucre requirements.

  7. Good day
    I would like to know if one lost his drivers license, what must I bring to apply for temporary and how much is it to do it?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.