I’ve been wanting to get myself a TV for a while. I moved into a fully furnished place at the beginning of the year, with free DSTV and thus a TV. But it was an old 74cm CRT. Massive thing (honestly, I weighed it and it’s 49kg), but not the greatest picture, especially with my PS3.
So I’ve been looking for the past month or two and was pretty much waiting for a sale on a Samsung or Sony, say R5,000 for a decent 42″. Then about three weeks ago, Hi-Fi corp have a sale on a JVC 42″ smart TV (JVC LT-42N630SA), with wi-fi and a bunch of other features. Great I decided. It only cost R4,000, and I was willing to take a slight quality knock for the lower price and smart TV capabilities. Sadly the TV was sold out before I could get to the store.
Then this week I see the same TV is on sale again for R5,000. Fine I decide, let’s just get it, although it’s more expensive, you would pay quite a premium for the same functionality in a Samsung. So I went and bought it. Oops.
It’s not that it’s a terrible TV, it’s just really not great. The process was fairly painless, but shucks. I can’t remember how long it took to startup the first time I turned it on. I’m quite sure it was in excess of 2 minutes. I have a lot of complaints about this TV. the biggest one being it’s usability. Everything just takes forever (or doesn’t work).
- Under normal conditions it takes 25s to start up
- The “Google TV Remote” app to use your cell as a remote is not allowed in South Africa (ie you can’t use it), Even though there’s a brochure for it in the box.
- The preloaded Youtube app doesn’t work.
- Menu and interface is logical, but very laggy, and unpredictable at times.
- Pushing buttons on the remote doesn’t always seem to do anything.
- The system update button kills the ‘settings’ app each and every time.
- Video quality on my RF in was terrible
- You can’t change the picture mode (4:3, 16:9, original, etc.)
- Sound quality is below average
- The whole time while connected to Wi-Fi or a USB device, the icons show in the bottom right corner (I tried for a few minutes to turn this off but couldn’t find a way)
What it has going for it
- It does have Wi-Fi and a ethernet port, so it should be capable of more.
- Picture quality was decent
- The TV is pretty cheap.
- It is a good looking, well built TV
But in the end I took the TV back. I couldn’t deal with it. Hi-Fi corp gave me a full refund without any issues. I had a look at some other TVs, but in the end went to Game and picked up a Samsung 40″ for a few hundred rand less than the JVC.
And most importantly, I’m happy with it. It responds quickly and without hassle. It may not be ‘Smart’, but it can still play files from USB, and there’s always my PS3 I can use.
Looks like you got a JVC lemon.
It is of concern to me as I got my unit from Hi Fi Corp today but have not set it up yet.. Was on a weekend special, marked down from R5999 to R4799.
I do not see a separate remote control for the Smart features…
If I have the same unacceptable hassles as you had, then it is going back to Hi Fi Corp immediately..
‘Cheap is expensive’
Good luck with it, maybe my expectations were just too high. There wasn’t a separate remote control for Smart features. There was an advertised app for your phone which was not accessible in SA.
I’m interested to hear how you find it though.